Monday, January 10, 2011

My husband, the big loser

Shockingly, I haven't haven't blogged about this yet, but it's probably just because I've been such a negligent blogger.

Over the summer John had a routine physical and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Yikes. Pretty scary. He has to take his blood sugar twice a day, take medicine daily, & change his diet. (Side note: I always thought diabetes couldn't eat sugar, not realizing that carbohydrates are really what they have to look out for. John's diagnosis meant a crash course in nutrition for the whole family.) Also, he was told the most important thing to do was lose a ton of weight, FAST.

We've adjusted to the diabetes. John's blood sugar is well controlled, we drastically cut the carbs we eat as a family, & John lost all the weight he was told to - over 70 lbs - in less than 6 months. He calls it the "fear of God" diet. As crappy as the whole diabetes thing is, he's SO much healthier now & I think having it might have saved his life.

Drum roll please:

BEFORE
(taken in April 2010)



AFTER
(taken in December 2010)


Congratulations John! You did a fabulous job & you look great!



6 comments:

Karen said...

Holy crap..he looks like a different person...He IS a big loser!!!

...on a side note.....just want to fill in the word verification and it is LARDICA...get it? Lard? that's weird.

You rock,John!

Kathleen said...

I'm still suprised every time I see him.

Chi-Town Bound said...

A hearty congratulations to you and John! A healthy family is a happy family! Way to go!!!

Liz said...

Since I've known John since grade school, I feel like the recent photos of him are the John I remember. Good job, Parisi!

Col said...

Awesome job- Do I see you as a personal trainer in the future?

smsjd said...

Thats amazing John. Congrats.