Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go is the best book ever... and it's MINE

So I have an obsession with Dr. Seuss, particularly the book, Oh, the Places You'll Go. It's not 'cause I'm a mom either. I've always loved it. Oh, the Places You'll Go is probably the best book ever written. Ever. I've read it a hundred million times.
It is also the only perfect book (that I've found at least) for everyone. In my past life (before Cooper) when I worked with kids involved with the Department of Children & Family Services, I really liked the idea of giving my clients books, but they were all different ages (babies to 21), and very different reading levels, & the younger kids are easy enough to find books for, but the pre-teens & teenagers were more difficult. Some clients had family or friends they could count on, but most didn't. I thought of a lot of books that I liked when I was younger, but they all involve someone dying, or depending on family, or they were somehow just not appropriate for the kids I worked with. Try finding a wholesome book that is easy to read, is hopeful (because the saddest part about the DCFS population of kids is that very few of them have any hope at all and there usually isn't anyone around them telling them they should have any hope), and doesn't tell you that you can always depend on your family - it's not easy.
OTPYG was easy to read, but didn't seem like a baby book. It's inspiring, but it's honest. My two favorite parts of the book are:
"All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot. And when you're alone, there's a very good chance you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some, down the road between hither and yon, that can scare you so much you won't want to go on."
and:
"And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!"
So I kept several copies on my shelf in my office to give to clients for birthdays, graduations, or accomplishments.
So, of course, when I got pregnant with Cooper, I insisted that we do an Oh, the Places You'll Go themed room for him. Dr. Seuss books aren't the most common themes for nurseries, and when they are it's usually The Cat in the Hat, which is also good, but far inferior to Oh, the Places You'll Go. John spent countless hours tracing, copying pictures freehand, and painting to create Cooper's room.



Cooper's favorite - a "boon" (balloon)

John decided to add Sam I Am too.

We got a Pottery Barn Kids catalog in the mail the other day & I gasped when I saw the cover (no, Cooper wasn't on it). They have a line of "Oh, the Places You'll Go" kids room items. What?! That was MY idea.
So now Cooper might not be the only kid on the block with an Oh, the Places You'll Go room. (Although he will be the only one with the coolest Oh, the Places You'll Go room.) Sort of annoying to me, but I guess it's for the greater good.
To Cooper, and those other kids, & you too:
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!"

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love this post...and you too!

Anonymous said...

SO cute!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I really like this book a lot too! I've given it on lots of occasions, including high school graduation. How cool that Cooper's room is this theme. How did I not notice that when I was there last May! Maybe it was all I had on my mind and the long airplane ride.Aunt Pat

Chi-Town Bound said...

Holy smokes! I based my speech for Vic at our wedding to that book!