Tuesday, June 9, 2009

We have a weaner!

Yep, it's true.. Cooper is weaned.
People assure you that no child is still nursing when they get to college, but with Cooper I wasn't so sure about that. From the time he was an infant he wanted to nurse constantly and for at least an hour at a time most of the time. So imagine my shock when he stopped almost cold turkey.
A little over a month ago he was sick & congested. He nursed for a few seconds, then stopped. Started again, then stopped. I assumed he was having trouble breathing while nursing. He eventually just laid his head down on the pillow & fell asleep. For the next several days he would ask to nurse, but then cry or just sign "finished" when he was given the chance. I finally stopped offering and he stopped asking.
I had (have) really mixed feelings about him weaning. I always wanted to nurse him until he self-weaned. When I got pregnant, I wasn't so sure about that anymore. The thought of a newborn needing to be nursed constantly around the clock, plus a toddler was a little overwhelming. I cut Cooper back to just before nap-time & before bedtime. It was really difficult for the first week or so, but then he seemed satisfied with it. But then he did stop, & I didn't even realize it was happening. I thought he was not feeling well & would come back to nursing when he wasn't congested, but suddenly it was just over.
He did ask to nurse again one more time about a week after I had last offered. I was happy to oblige, but when he got close he just blew a raspberry in disgust and turned away. I think the pregnancy has affected the taste or smell or something and he's just not interested anymore.
I know it's probably for the best, but it still makes me sad.

In sibling news, we have a... well, I just let you see for yourself. There's no doubt - it's a boy.


2 comments:

Chi-Town Bound said...

Congratulations on your baby boy! I love reading your blog because when my husband and I are ready, I will use it as a reference. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats on the weaning (though I know you have mixed feelings) and the baby boy! miss you guys.
-L-Dawg